There is no guaranteed way to prevent cancer. Your risk of getting cancer is caused by a variety of factors – mainly heredity/genetics, lifestyle, diet, excercise and just plain luck.
However, there are things you can do to lessen your cancer risk. One of them is eating a healthy diet. And research shows there are even specific foods you can eat that may reduce the risk for getting specific types of cancer.
Generally speaking, one of the best things you can do to reduce your risk of cancer is to organise your diet around plant-based foods. You don’t have to give up meat completely, but try to centre your meals around plants, including fresh vegetables, fruits, and whole grains. (Whole grains include whole wheat bread, brown rice, oats, and barley, among other things.)
You should avoid overcooking your vegetables, as cooking removes many of the vegetables and nutrients. Vegetables are healthiest when they are eaten raw, or steamed until they are slightly softened, with little or no butter or salt. Many fruits and vegetables such as potatoes, apples, and tomatoes – are healthier when eaten with the peels on.
Another tip is to limit foods that are high in saturated fat, like red meat and deep-fried foods, as well as foods that are high in sugar, like sweets. Eat fresh foods whenever possible instead of processed foods. Processed foods – foods that are boxed, canned, or frozen – tend to be higher in sugar, salt, and unhealthy fat than fresh foods.
Here are some specific super foods that can help fight your risk of cancer:
* Garlic can contribute to stopping cancer-causing substances from forming in your body, and can kill cancer cells.
* Broccoli can protect against cancers of the mouth, oesophagus, and stomach.
* Tomatoes have been shown to fight prostate cancer.
* Berries, including blueberries and strawberries, are high in antioxidants, which fight many types of cancer.
* Carrots may slow the growth of cancer cells.
* Spinach, one of the healthiest foods on earth, can also protect against mouth, oesophagus, and stomach cancer.
Maintaining a healthy weight, getting lots of exercise, and avoiding alcohol and smoking are also very good ways to reduce your risk of cancer.